Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Improving test scores

I have had numerous families reach out to me recently from an unnamed virtual academy sharing with me their plight.

"We have Class Connects from 9:30-2:30 every day before we can get to our regular learning lessons."

"We are doing 10+ hours per day because they are so focused on improving state test scores."

"What happened to the fun? Learning used to be fun but not anymore."

"I withdrew my two children over the holiday break because it was just too much work."

While I feel for these families, I also feel for the school -- the school is simply doing what it believes will have the best chance of improving test scores. Repeated drilling and practice (Class Connects) along with other learning programs that provide students even more opportunities to practice (Study Island, etc.). Then, the expectation of students progressing through their regular lessons.

One teacher who reached out to me shared that it feels like an ongoing Army boot camp structure - - drill, drill, drill.

"We've become so laser-focused on the state testing that all else is becoming secondary."

What remains to be seen is whether or not all of this will have any impact on test scores. Right now, it appears burnout is more the result than anything else.

And, we wonder why kids don't engage.

houston@figment-consulting.com

For the record - each person gave me permission to use their quote in this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment